The tech talent shortage in the United States and Western Europe is becoming more and more noticeable every year. If you still manage to find software developers in your location, their prices may be sky-high even for short projects, no matter which technology stack you need. Looking for a PHP developer, Java developers, or experts on other technologies, but there’s a lack of them where you live? The best way to solve this problem is to hire freelance developers.
So what are the key steps to take after you decide to hire freelance developers?
- Define a destination where you are going to look for tech talent. The most popular offshore destinations are Asia, Eastern Europe, Latin America, and Africa. Each one has its own benefits and drawbacks, so you should carefully research the tech talent market and other features of the chosen country.
- Choose a freelance website where you are going to search for candidates. Here are the top 10 places where you can find and hire a freelancer. The most popular one is Upwork; however, if you are looking for deep experience and strict vetting, consider TopTal or Crossover.
- Browse the website(s) for profiles of software developers from the location of your choice.
- Shortlist the candidates with skills that fit your project requirements and good ratings from clients.
- Interview the candidates and hire those that passed the interview. For example, here are the 25 questions to ask before you hire web developers in 2020.
- Screen your potential freelancer for required soft skills and remote readiness using the online tool for interviewing developers.
Some websites and platforms offer ready-made teams of freelance software developers, so you can hire a dedicated team. Sometimes it is better to work with the team whose members have worked with each other for a long time than build one from scratch. For example, here how you can find a perfect game dev team. However, communication may occur only via a project manager, which is not the best option when you want personal communication. Additionally, this may not be an option for startups that are looking for highly scalable teams.
At first, it may seem hard to find freelance developers, but actually, it’s quite easy when you are familiar with the subject. If you are keen to learn more, start with the research we compiled based on YouTeam‘s operational data – the top trends of 2019 for hiring tech talent remotely. It includes the most popular programming roles in 2019, tech stack US startups were looking for in 2019, average rates set by dev shops in Eastern Europe and South America and more. Discover how offshore development is changing over time and take it into account while shaping your own growth strategy in 2020.
We hope that our article has given you an idea about where to look for freelance software developers, how to organize the hiring process, and what to pay specific attention to. Good luck!